Wafflessss

I love waffles.
I love them. Adore them. Whoever decided to pour batter on a gridded iron? Genius. Deserves a Nobel Peace Prize just for bringing something wonderful to the world.

This summer I've been making waffles just for the sake of it since I'm home and we have a waffle iron. I received it as a gift from my grandma quite a long time ago - at least ten years ago, crazy! It makes two square waffles at a time and it's not hard to clean, being nonstick and all, so I've been making them quite often.
It's 250% worth it to get up just a liiiiiiil bit earlier to whip up waffle batter from scratch. It's simple too, and takes me only around 15 minutes to throw together. Honestly, the longest part is waiting for each "batch" to cook; my iron takes about 5 minutes for each, give or take, however long it takes for the iron to stop releasing steam. But boy HOWDY are those a wonderfully fragrant 5 minutes. The smell is so lovely.

I especially love light, fluffy, yet delightfully crispy waffles....it's just *chef's kiss* unparalleled. The secret is separately beating the egg white, which incorporates air into the batter.
My parents (and I) love a little additional sweetness to the waffle, but I know a lot of recipes call for little sugar - put in as much or as little as you want, frankly! It doesn't really affect the batter either way. I also pour in a healthy dose of vanilla extract and also some vanilla flavoring syrup.
Yeah maybe both the vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste is overkill (more like overVANILL amiRITE AHAHHAHAHA) but literally it has never done me wrong.

I made these for both my birthday (yeah lol my brothers could not be bothered to make breakfast for me on my day πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…) and my dad's birthday. 2 waffles to a plate, and on each plate I arranged bananas or strawberries and add a dollop - a spritz? a whoosh? a fzzsszhhhh?? what is the word for the action of dispensing whipped cream from a can? - of whipped cream on top. Then I sprinkle on a dusting of powdered sugar and cover it all with thin drizzles of syrup and chocolate sauce. It makes for a pretty presentation! πŸ“πŸŒ (The picture I took was before all the syrup haha)
When you bite in, there is an oh-so-satisfying crackle, but then you sink into pillowy softness that is just subtly sweet and simply melts on your tongue. Perhaps I'm biased, but it is so damn hard to get tired of eating these. (Which is quite dangerous hahahah)

So, in a few days, I will unapologetically be making these again. You should too. Happy waffling!

3/4c all-purpose flour
1/4c cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp granulated sugar (to liking)
3/4c buttermilk
1/4c milk (whole or 2%)
6 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg, yolk and white separated
Splash of water
2 tsp vanilla extract (to liking)
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (optional)
2 tbsp vanilla flavoring syrup (optional)

Toppings:
Syrup, chocolate sauce, powdered sugar, sliced fruit

Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix together buttermilk, milk, oil, vanilla extracts/flavoring, and egg yolk.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
In another separate bowl, use a mixer to beat the egg white to stiff, glossy peaks. Gently fold it into the batter; do not overmix.
(Sometimes I find the batter to be thicc; it should run slightly so that it can spread on the waffle iron. If you find the batter thicque, add a splash of water here.)
Heat iron (and grease if it is not nonstick; for my nonstick iron I find that greasing is unnecessary).
Pour batter onto heated iron; close and listen to that sweet sweet sizzle. Keep closed until the steam subsides.
Top and serve immediately while hot!

Comments